Specializing in Grass Seed, Vegetable Seed & Garden Supplies
The origin of Wyatt-Quarles Seed Company dates back to 1881 when Job P. Wyatt and Philip Taylor organized a general merchandise business on East Martin Street in Raleigh. At first the company sold groceries, hardware, seeds and general merchandise. Later, groceries were dropped and the company began to wholesale hardware, farm machinery and seeds with William L. Wyatt as the first salesman. W. G. Quarles, who came to the company from Alabama in 1931, was appointed manager of the seed department in October of 1932. An 18,000 square foot addition to the Garner warehouse was finished in early 1987, including renovation and enlargement of the office area. On June 30, 1988, the retail operation in downtown Raleigh was closed. All retail employees were brought to the main warehouse and put in new positions of responsibility.In 1993 W-Q joined Garden Master, a merchandising and purchasing group consisting of wholesalers like ourselves throughout the U. S. An expanded office area and a new board/meeting room was completed in March of 2000. Additional employee parking and truck and trailer parking was completed at this time also. Over the years, our employees have provided the skills, talent, and energy necessary to ensure our steady growth and we are proud of this heritage.
Back row: James Taylor, Gerald Storms, Mike Joyner, Sue Jennings, Tony Evans, Joe Denney, Art Bethel, Joe Moore (Vice President)